Monday, November 16, 2009

Appeal to Gaia

Dear Mother Nature,

Stop being dark. Please. I thoroughly appreciate the change in seasons, and do not mind the cold. I love kicking the fallen leaves and the fact that the lack of ivy over my window now allows it to let in light instead of just a green glow. As soon as I figure out how to stop the draft coming from that same window, I will be perfectly content with the modern ability to regulate indoor temperatures, and relish in the cool crisp air when I step outside.

But please, let the sun stay out a bit longer.

I know that the invention of electricity may have made it seem that we humans do not need Mr. Sun. Despite our self-importance, however, I must admit that we come nowhere close to your ability when it comes to creating efficient lighting.

Blue has long been my favourite colour, and the number of shades you are able to provide are phenomenal. This navy blue, and the blueberry-stained hues of recent November evening are not quite what I had in mind when I imagined a perfect sky.

I appreciate that you are attempting to make up for these inadequacies with tonight’s meteor shower, but I somehow doubt that it will even come close to the attempts that humanity makes to substitute for your Sun. If you could instead give us trapped north of the 40th parallel an extra hour of sunlight at night, or maybe two, that would be excellent. An earlier morning would be fine with me as well.

This might seem like quite a bit of work for you, but please realise that I have a lot to do as well. When I walked home at 6pm, contemplating my applications for teachers college and math work I have to do, the lack of lighting made me approach these thoughts as if the night was already over, instead of having just begun. I’m also hoping to go for a run, but since that dangerous Nighttime is stopping by earlier each day, I am forced to avoid my favourite paths through your lovely creations of trees and streams in order to use the harsh fluorescent lighting of busy streets.

I will end this appeal by again thanking you for your consistency each year, but want to propose that change is not always a bad thing. If you could perhaps try out my idea for a year or two, I would be fine with you reverting back, if you feel that it is necessary. I look forward to your snowy season, and hope to come out and visit you soon.

Sincerely,

A Daughter of the Earth.

p.s. If it’s not too much to ask, could you also arrange for less slush this year? That would be great, thank you.

No comments: