Third week in Muskrat Dam and second week of camp. So far we've had really good numbers - around 30 a day, with both morning and afternoon combined. We've been doing group reading and smaller letter recognition activities with the younger campers. We are supposed to have ages 6+, but we have a lot of 5 year olds at the camp, and since they don't learn English letters until the end of grade one (they're taught syllabics until then, which are First Nations letters), we can't really do writing activities. Small steps!! The older campers, aged 10-13, who come in the afternoon, are also really into a lot of the activities, and we've done a couple other projects with them. We worked on a community book last week, and this week they are doing their own personal timelines! The younger campers also did a community alphabet book, only on a smaller scale.
The community has been really welcoming so far. Last weekend we went to an anniversary party at the ball diamond, where there was a lot of food, and then we ran a baseball game with the kids afterward. Yesterday (Sunday) we went to a double birthday party, that again had loads of food, and we were able to secure some guests to come into camp this week! One of the counsellors will be coming in to play guitar tomorrow morning, and Thursday a parents is coming in to bake bannock with the afternoon group! Between that, the great food, and a break in the weather, Sunday was fabulous!
The past week we've been keeping vegetarian (except for at the community dinners - there is no way I'm turning down venisson!), and it's definitely easier on the wallet than last year was. Lizzy, Ryan and I have been spending our time cooking lots of bean and lentil dishes, playing on websites made for 12 year olds, and playing card games! I taught them 9-5-2 and have won the past nine games, so I think Lizzy might have us switch back to Rummy, or we may learn three person Euchre! Also, Ryan and I have also been running a few kilometres every other day (well, he runs daily, but I only join him on odd-numbered days!), and tomorrow the three of us are going to Aerobics! I hope it's actually on! We've gone to a couple things up on the other side of town - "Uptown" - and either arrived late or found out that there was a location change. Fingers crossed that tomorrow won't be like that!
Anyway, I must sign off now, or else I will be having a tired day at camp tomorrow! Good night!!
-V
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment