Sunday, July 5, 2009

After final performances, goodbye parties, nights of very little sleep, a lot of travel, seeing my parents in Toronto, a beach day, and training...

For the month of July 2009 I will be mostly in Muskrat Dam, Ontario. It's the furthest north I've ever been in Ontario, and the third Aboriginal Community I've lived in (if you can count 3-4 weeks somewhere as living there!). I am again with Frontier College for their Summer Reading Camps, the same program as I did last year.

A bit about Muskrat Dam. The community has just over 200 people, and is not far from the Manitoba border - by plane of course. It is only reachable by plane or ice road, but scheduled flights come in about every other day (and so mail is delivered this often). The community is incredibly friendly, especially the kids; the black flies and mosquitoes, on the other hand, are not as kind. It's been fairly cool here, and the couple morning I've gone running with my teammate Ryan have been quite brisk. And the briskness is referring to the temperature, not our pace, haha.

My teammates are both pretty awesome people. Ryan and Lizzy are both from Dalhousie university, and are friends with Orion, my teammate from last year. As of today we've moved in, done registration while running some games, planned our first week of camp, attended an anniversary feast, played evening games with some of the older kids, and been visited and watched by a group of 11-12 year old girls about 3 nights in a row. We usually give in and go out to chat or play tag with them, but right now we decided just to open the curtains and inside door, and they're standing outside the windows watching us read and type on the computer. I can hardly imagine how exciting that must be.

In unfortunate news, my computer decided to die. It is showing what some Mac used call "The grey screen of death", and can be fixed by reinstalling the start-up CD. I, however, did not bring said CD to Muskrat Dam, and so am using Lizzy's computer. I am uber-thankful that we had two here in the first place.

Anyway, I think I'll wrap this up here and get some more administrative work done. If anyone wants to send any mail (and that will make me love you more), you can do so by writing:

Victoria Weaver
Literacy Camp
Muskrat Dam, Ontario
Canada
P0V 3B0

Cheers! ;)
Victoria

No comments: