I think this is the time where I’m supposed to say, “I can’t believe that there’s only a week left!” but for whatever reason, I really can believe it. I’m not looking forward to leaving, but I am completely aware of the fact that we have spent three week here already. It’s been great in Webequie, and with Frontier College in general, and we still have a week left!
This past week was quite interesting – I fought my way through the start, surviving the first couple days at camp, although not functioning at the top of my game thanks to what turned out to be strep throat. I went to the clinic and had a couple days of Tylenol, and was able to avoid antibiotics. By mid-week I was feeling a bit better, and now (Saturday) I feel almost completely better.
The week itself was pretty routine camp – our numbers were low to start with, but then blew up by the end of our week, especially as some kids started coming to both morning and afternoon camp! Thursday night was intense. Lauren, Orion and I spent from 5pm, when camp ended, until 5am creating a Haunted House. Kenny helped us for a bit after camp, but then disappeared to catch up on sleep – he got in early that morning from a hockey tournament in T-Bay. We took a break to eat dinner and watch Skins (which is really getting me in the mood for England!), but overall it turned out to be a 17 hour workday! Friday was spent outside most of the day, first creating a story about how demons got Lauren, the sending the kids through the haunted house. It was too scary for the younger/morning campers, so we turned on all the lights then guided them through, after failing to coax them in. The older/afternoon campers almost stampeded over me to get in, and in the end tore the place up a bit and ran around it like crazed people, but both groups had a really good time and a lot of fun!
We returned Friday night after an hour or two of cleaning planning to nap, eat supper, then go back to clean. I woke up 9am on Saturday and realized that plan didn’t work – we all slept about 14 hours, too tired to wake up at all! Saturday we had an easy start to the day and went back to clean – luckily we had done more than we’d realized the previous night, and Kenny had gotten there early and cleaned the mess of a kitchen for us.
This week we were supposed to have a drumming group in, and a woman to do beading, but both cancelled/didn’t show, so that was a bit of a let down. With any luck, we’ll reschedule them for this week, but we’ll have to play that by ear, since we might also be having a visit from the ex-Lieutenant-Governor and some of the program’s funders!
For those who have been asking, my timeline for the next month or so is as follows:
Currently In Webequie for my final week of Literacy Camp
August 23 Return to Thunder Bay for Debrief
August 25 Return to Chatham
August 29 Move in with Jessica in Toronto
September 2 Hamilton for a short while
September 3/4 Back to Toronto
September 22 Return to Chatham (again)
September 27 Fly to England!
Hopefully these times overlap with when people are in their respective towns/cities!!
That’s all for now!
-V
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment